Vreleksá Forum Index Vreleksá
The Alurhsa Word for Constructed: Creativity in both scripts and languages

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conlang Peculiarities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrangeMagic
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you for the commentary, I had already put the 'hopeful' mood/tense into the Mood section of my grammar. But not the 'mystic'.
Aeetlrcreejl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldin raigmore wrote:
Many people call all tense-aspect-mood accidents of verbs "tense". I would prefer to distinguish tenses from aspects from moods.

So would I.
Tolkien_Freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raitoliste makes no distinction between 'this' and 'that'.
eldin raigmore
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolkien_Freak wrote:
So your demonstrative has only one "degree of remoteness".
Interesting.
How does that make it different from a pronoun or a definite article?

Many languages have three grades of demonstrative. They can differ by degree of remoteness (proximal, medial, or distal); or by "deictic center" (near the speaker, near the addressee, near the 3rd-person (or far from both speaker and addressee)).

Adpihi has 96 demonstratives.
They differ depending on whether the referent is closer to the speaker than to the addressee, or closer to the addressee than to the speaker.
They differ depending on whether the speaker is closer to the referent than to the addressee, or closer to the addressee than to the referent.
They differ depending on whether the addressee is closer to the referent than to the speaker, or closer to the speaker than to the referent.
They differ depending on whether or not the referent is within reach of the speaker.
They differ depending on whether or not the referent is visible to the speaker.
They differ depending on whether or not the referent is within reach of the addressee.
They differ depending on whether or not the referent is visible to the addressee.

As you can see, those first three differences divide them into six sets; each has sixteen members, since the last four differences are logically independent. But some of them are rare; for example, it would be unusual for a referent which is closer to the speaker than to the addressee, to be out of the speaker's reach but in the addressee's reach.
Tolkien_Freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it (they, really, there's a separate one for each root) is a pronoun that can be used as a demonstrative adjective - you can say 'this thing' by saying either 'reike' or 'reiki ke' (or 'there' by 'reime' or 'reimi me', etc).
eldin raigmore
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolkien_Freak wrote:
Actually, it (they, really, there's a separate one for each root) is a pronoun that can be used as a demonstrative adjective - you can say 'this thing' by saying either 'reike' or 'reiki ke' (or 'there' by 'reime' or 'reimi me', etc).
I see. Like "this here now post" or "that there post"?
Tolkien_Freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'That there post' seems like it.
Hemicomputer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holxûs has:
A first person inclusive that represents multiple people being one.
An "Always" tense (is that uncommon?).
A /Z/ and no /z/
A /D/ and /t/ but no /d/

It also uses the word for zero as a negative prefix and has no word for "to remember" or "to realize". "I remember it" is said as "my brain sees it".
eldin raigmore
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemicomputer wrote:
A first person inclusive that represents multiple people being one.
How is that ever useful? (Not saying it can't be; just wondering how. Your explanation may be an in-story explanation, and/or may apply only to speakers of your conlang. OTOH you could tell me something I've never heard of, or forgotten, about some natlang.)
Hemicomputer wrote:
An "Always" tense (is that uncommon?).
I don't know; is the "gnomic aorist" an "always" tense?
Hemicomputer wrote:
It also uses the word for zero as a negative prefix
Hmm. Wouldn't it be the other way 'round? "Zero" is a rather late invention; the word for "empty" was borrowed and modified to make "zero". But "not" and "un" and so on had been around for a while.
Hemicomputer wrote:
and has no word for "to remember" or "to realize". "I remember it" is said as "my brain sees it".
Wonder what that would do to evidentiality?
eldin raigmore
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolkien_Freak wrote:
'That there post' seems like it.

H. Beam Piper's "Uller Uprising" has the "Kragan" language; it has four tenses,
  • temporally present and spatially present
  • temporally present and spatially non-present
  • temporally non-present and spatially present
  • temporally non-present and spatially non-present
which apply to nouns rather than verbs.
Hemicomputer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldin raigmore wrote:
How is that ever useful? (Not saying it can't be; just wondering how. Your explanation may be an in-story explanation, and/or may apply only to speakers of your conlang. OTOH you could tell me something I've never heard of, or forgotten, about some natlang.)

It is, as far as I know, unique to the language. It is used mainly during the wedding ceremony, where those to be married say vows in unison using that word. Other rituals which involve "oneness" use it. It was a later addition to the language, made by "depluralizing" the we inclusive. ("Hrolv" to "Hrol")
eldin raigmore wrote:

I am afraid I have no idea what those are. Explain to the n00b, please.
eldin raigmore wrote:
Hmm. Wouldn't it be the other way 'round? "Zero" is a rather late invention; the word for "empty" was borrowed and modified to make "zero". But "not" and "un" and so on had been around for a while.

*forehead slap* Just looked at my lexicon. Actually, it's a different but highly similar word. I got confused by the similarity.
eldin raigmore wrote:
Wonder what that would do to evidentiality?

Interesting thing to ponder. The only real way find out would be to translate some sentences. I should get around to that sometime soon.
dusepo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolkien_Freak wrote:

and the same with Retfon Smile.

also, Retfon has no words for belonging. for instance...

my foot = ngō'negō = literally "me'foot" or "I'foot" (Retfon also makes no distinction between me and I, but I guess that's not so unusual.
eldin raigmore
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemicomputer wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
gnomic aorist
aorist
Hemicomputer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldin raigmore wrote:
Hemicomputer wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
gnomic aorist
aorist

Ah, I see. Thank you.

From what I've read, no. My always is not a gnomic aorist. It is used for things that happen on a frequent basis.
Vortex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hásu Khómiyo has 30 suffixes that can be used to show clause chaining.
It has 17 pronouns
It has no definite and indefinite articles.
Definiteness is only shown in pronouns, personal suffixes of verbs and possessor suffixes.
Verbs can take take personal suffixes for the Agent, patient, receiver/benefactor, and instrument/comiative.
There are two derivational prefixes to show a persons attitude's towards the situation.
The same thing can be shown on adjectives. (The neutral attitude for both the adjective and the verb are shown with a zero marker)
There are two realis moods: indicative and generic
There are two copulas for predicate nominals for equation and proper inclusion predicate nominals. These copulas are both on average omitted.
The copulas are also only conjugated for different aspects and tenses.
There are 5 tenses: distant past, near past, present, near future, and distant future.
There are seven moods.
There are 4 forms of verb negation depending on whether the clause contains a motion verb, the clause is locative/existential/possessive clause, contains a non-motion verb, or is a predicate nominal.
There are 4 ways to say "to be able to" depending whether the verb is a motion verb, stationary verb, sensory/thought process, miscellaneous class verb.

EDIT: There are also 4 types of evidentiality.
Hemicomputer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revised version, since Holxws's most recent changes
Holxws has:
•/Z/, but no /z/
•Only two stops: /t k/, also /d/ but only as an allophone of /D/.
•1st person inclusive
•A pronoun used only for referring to God, which can be used as either 1st, 2nd or 3rd person.
•Tense marked separately from the verb. (I don't know if this is quite uncommon, I know of no natlangs that use this, except possibly Swahili)
•Formal, Informal, and Extremely Informal forms of you (See above, I know no natlangs with this except for Hindi)

In the writing system, only consonants are usually written (as in an abjad) but, unlike most abjads, there is no "'aleph"/"'alif" character. Instead, initial vowels are denoted with a separate character (as in an alphabet).

Last edited by Hemicomputer on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
eldin raigmore
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adpihi's "consecutive clauses" -- those in a clause-chain other than the "initial clause" (which, in Adpihi, is the anchor of the chain) -- have their verbs marked by "same/different subject" and "same/different object" and "same/different location" markers.

I haven't worked out the "same-location vs different-location markers" yet, so this won't talk about them.

But here's how the "same/different subject" and "same/different object" markers work.

The clause on whose verb the marker goes, is called "the marked clause"; the marker tells the relationship of the marked clause's subject or object(s) to the core arguments (subject and object(s)) of a picked other clause, called "the referenced clause".

Adpihi clauses' core participants come in four varieties; depending on whether or not they are the most saliently agentive or most agentively salient argument, and also on whether or not they are the most patientively salient or the most saliently patientive argument.

("Agentive" could mean volitional, controlling, performing, effecting, or instigating the action; and/or perhaps other meanings.)
("Patientive" could mean affected, located, or moved; and/or perhaps other meanings.)
("Salient" could mean topical, or focal; and/or perhaps other meanings.)

The Actor is the most saliently agentive, or the most agentively salient, argument; provided it isn't also the most patientively salient, or most saliently patientive, argument.

The Undergoer is the most saliently patientive, or the most patientively salient, argument; provided it isn't also the most agentively salient or the most saliently agentive argument.

The S-argument is both the most saliently agentive or most agentively salient, and the most saliently patientive or most patientively salient.

The Extra argument(s) is/are neither the most saliently agentive nor the most saliently patientive nor the most agentively salient nor the most patientively salient.

Every clause that has an argument has either an S or an A argument.

Every clause that has an argument has either an S or a U argument.

If a clause has exactly one argument, that argument is its S argument.

A clause with an S can't have an A; a clause with an A can't have an S.

A clause with an S can't have a U; a clause with a U can't have an S.

A clause with an A has to have a U; a clause with a U has to have an A.

No clause can have more than one S.
No clause can have more than one A.
No clause can have more than one U.

Nearly all of Adpihi's clauses come in one of the following four varieties;
S
A U
S E
A U E

The difference between SE clauses and AU clauses becomes morphosyntactically important in the same/different argument marking.

All monovalent clauses -- clauses with just one argument -- are S clauses.

The AU clauses are the traditional monotransitive clauses.

SE clauses may be thought of as "bivalent intransitive" clauses; they have two arguments, the S and the E, but the E is not a direct object; it might be called "an indirect object" (or not). The S participant is both the one most in control and the one most affected. The E participant is somehow the focus of the activity -- the thing toward which the activity is directedf -- but it neither controls it nor is affected by it.

AUE clauses are the traditional ditransitive clauses.

The "Same/Different Subject Marker" actually tracks Actors or Agents more than it tracks Subjects.
It has four values (five, including "zero").
If the S or A participant of the marked clause is identical to the S or A participant of the referenced clause (usually, the last previous clause in the chain), it takes the first value.
Otherwise, if the S or A participant of the marked clause is identical to the U or E participant of the referenced clause, it takes the second value.
Otherwise, if the S or A participant of the marked clause properly contains, or is properly contained in, the S or A participant of the referenced clause, it takes the third value.
Otherwise, if the S or A participant of the marked clause properly contains, or is properly contained in, the U or E participant of the referenced clause, it takes the fourth value.
Otherwise, it takes the no value; that is, it takes the "zero" value, and is not pronounced.

The "Same/Different Object Marker" actually tracks Undergoers or Patients more than it tracks Objects.
It has four values (five, including "zero").
If the S or U participant of the marked clause is identical to the S or U participant of the referenced clause (usually, the last previous clause in the chain), it takes the first value.
Otherwise, if the S or U participant of the marked clause is identical to the A or E participant of the referenced clause, it takes the second value.
Otherwise, if the S or U participant of the marked clause properly contains, or is properly contained in, the S or U participant of the referenced clause, it takes the third value.
Otherwise, if the S or U participant of the marked clause properly contains, or is properly contained in, the A or E participant of the referenced clause, it takes the fourth value.
Otherwise, it takes the no value; that is, it takes the "zero" value, and is not pronounced.

As you can see, if the "marked" clause is an AU clause, it may be marked if either of its core arguments (A or U) is related somehow to an argument of the previous clause; but if the "marked" clause is an SE clause, it will be marked only if its S argument is related to some argument of the previous clause.

Also, if the "referenced" clause is an AUE clause, the "Same/Different Subject" marker may mark a relationship to either its U or its E participant, not distinguishing between them; and the "Same/Different Object" marker may mark a relationship to either its A or its E participant, not distinguishing between them.

--------------------------------

About the "properly contains or is properly contained in".

This could well be disambiguated by grammatical number.

Suppose the marker says the S of the marked clause either properly contains, or is properly contained in, the S of the reference clause.

If the S of the marked clause is singular and the S of the reference clause is non-singular, it must be that the S of the marked clause is a member of the group which is the S of the reference clause; but if the S of the marked clause is non-singular and the S of the reference clause is singular, it must be that the S of the marked clause is a group which contains, as a member, the S of the reference clause.

Similarly, if one of them is plural and the other is non-plural, the non-plural one must be properly contained in the plural one.

It could also be disambiguated by person/clusivity. If one of them is inclusive and the other is exclusive, it must be that the exclusive one is contained in the inclusive one.

It could also be disambiguated by gender. If one of them is a common or epicene or mixed gender and the other is a "pure" gender, it must be that the "pure" one is properly contained in the "mixed" one.

Still, it may not be disambiguated by any means internal to the clause-chain; they may both be, for instance, 1st-person-inclusive paucal; or 3rd-person paucal epicene; or something like that. Then it may require common sense, or reference to the environment, or a question from the addressee to the speaker, or something like that, to decide which one properly contained the other.

And it may not be important enough to disambiguate.
langover94

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Slavic-based conlang has a peculiarity concerning imparatives. It has 2nd person, 2nd person plural, and 3rd person masculine, feminine, and neuter imparatives.
Aert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (very incomplete) conlang has a few aspects to it that I think qualify as peculaiar.

It is synthetic (poly-?) but has no cases (so doesn't distinguish between I, me, etc) but it does have possessive forms of pronouns.

Similar to Spanish, I think, when there are multiple verbs in a row (eg I have to decide to wear either the blue or red shirt) the time aspect is preserved in all the verbs, but the aspect/mood is only added to the first verb (unless one of the later verbs has a different aspect - not infinitive or the same as the first etc).

There are two words for 'be' but they aren't really verbs. They are prefixes that attach themselves to the verb they're talking about, and the tense/mood etc is the suffix attached to the verb at the end.

The numbers system is base 25, rather than base 10, and to make things easy, the first 24 numbers are the 24 consonant sounds in alphabetic order.

I imagine as the language is developed more wierdness will be revealed Twisted Evil Wink
eldin raigmore
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aert wrote:
... when there are multiple verbs in a row (eg I have to decide to wear either the blue or red shirt) the time aspect is preserved in all the verbs, but the aspect/mood is only added to the first verb (unless one of the later verbs has a different aspect - not infinitive or the same as the first etc). ...
Look up "serial verb constructions".
In languages with serial verbs, typically only one verb (usually the first or the last) in the series is "finite", and all the others are "converbs" (sometimes a.k.a. "gerunds"; they may (or may not) be marked for agreement with whichever participants they have that not all the verbs in the series have, but they often won't be marked for many of the verb accidents, namely tense or aspect or mood/mode/modality or voice or polarity, that they probably share with all the other verbs in the series).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next