Joined: 03 Jul 2008
|Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:58 am Post subject: IPA vowels - only 5 letters :)
|well, I was playing around with the IPA vowels, and now have a way to write them all using only 5 base letters
The rest of them just use a few different accents to say what the difference is between them.
They're grouped like this:
1) close unrounded (-a,+y) [e]
2) close, close mid unrounded (+ʏ) [y]
3) close, close mid rounded (-ʏ,-o) [u]
4) central, back mid unrounded (-ɤ) [ʌ]
5) open+mid front, center rounded (+a,+æ) [a]
6) back rounded (+ɑ,-u) [o]
[V] is the base letter.
with accents (variation on a centralized vowel):
and all of these can be made nasal, or etc by IPA accents (all accents are above the letter, instead of below - the nasal is then a tilde below).
I don't know really why I did this, I guess it was just an excercise but yeah...