Vreleksá Forum Index Vreleksá
The Alurhsa Word for Constructed: Creativity in both scripts and languages
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T&T C: "That is my companion. It is not intended a

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vreleksá Forum Index -> Translations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: T&T C: "That is my companion. It is not intended a Reply with quote

Translate and transcribe:

"That is my companion. It is not intended as a tip."
(from: "Useful phrases for the tourist", author unknown)
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolkien_Freak



Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 1231
Location: in front of my computer. always.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm... not sure I understand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
achemel



Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 555
Location: up for debate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, awesome. (^_^) I took it to mean, you're in a situation at a restaurant or possibly somewhere shady, and whoever you're with is somehow desirable to a third party.

Ddamychal: Te’l sam hethal. N’hesa lynant í ga-moshagt.
/that-COP I-GEN. companion. NEG-AUX-PRES.sing. intend-PP for i.d.a.-tip/
Or, Te hala sam hethal. Nat-hesa lynant am halath ga-moshagt.
/that be-PRES.sing. I-GEN companion. NEG-AUX-PRES.sing. intend-PP INF be-INF i.d.a.-tip/

Hemnälg: små säg fors/lutt derott. Sjä säg këlgäkel sorgyc noubal.
/that be-PRES3.s.m I-GEN(m/f) companion. NEG be-PRES3.s.m intend-PAST be-INF give-PAST/

Ra cel: ia icah fuiládh a naë. Comünmëdh gyn dhẅ sa iag n-cenbru.
/be-PRES that companion 1a2n my. Intend-PRES-PASS NEG it be-INF i.d.a.-tip (“help-money”)/


I think /moshagt/ is the only occurrence in ddamychal of the combination [gt].
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolkien_Freak wrote:
I'm... not sure I understand.

achemel wrote:
Haha, awesome. (^_^) I took it to mean, you're in a situation at a restaurant or possibly somewhere shady, and whoever you're with is somehow desirable to a third party.

Actually the idea is that you're being served in a hotel or restaurant or bar on some other planet, and your "alien"* server doesn't seem to know whether your spouse or other companion is your weird idea of a tip or what.

*actually in this situation you'd be the alien.


achemel wrote:
Ddamychal: Te’l sam hethal. N’hesa lynant í ga-moshagt.
/that-COP I-GEN. companion. NEG-AUX-PRES.sing. intend-PP for i.d.a.-tip/
Or, Te hala sam hethal. Nat-hesa lynant am halath ga-moshagt.
/that be-PRES.sing. I-GEN companion. NEG-AUX-PRES.sing. intend-PP INF be-INF i.d.a.-tip/

Hemnälg: små säg fors/lutt derott. Sjä säg këlgäkel sorgyc noubal.
/that be-PRES3.s.m I-GEN(m/f) companion. NEG be-PRES3.s.m intend-PAST be-INF give-PAST/

Ra cel: ia icah fuiládh a naë. Comünmëdh gyn dhẅ sa iag n-cenbru.
/be-PRES that companion 1a2n my. Intend-PRES-PASS NEG it be-INF i.d.a.-tip (“help-money”)/
What are "i.d.a."s?
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
achemel



Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 555
Location: up for debate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never looked up the actual term, but when I was taking Spanish in high school our teacher taught "the" as the direct article (d.a.) and "a" as the indirect article (i.d.a.). Or maybe it was "definite article"? I feel like those are at least sort of close to the proper terms but again, I haven't checked, and I've been using these abbreviations for about 5 years now so they're kind of ingrained. (^_^) I suppose I could be a little less lazy and just look them up...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolkien_Freak



Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 1231
Location: in front of my computer. always.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's 'definite'. Officially, there's only an abbreviation for 'article' (ART), so I'd use maybe DEFART and INDEFART or something (or maybe DART and I(ND)ART).

(Someday I'm going to create a better glossing system. The Leipzig rules feel HORRIBLY inadequate for non-IE langs. OTOH, maybe I just have no idea what I'm doing ^_^)

Another TC that I have to leave due to vocab... T_T
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kiri



Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Posts: 471
Location: Latvia/Italy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolkien_Freak wrote:

Another TC that I have to leave due to vocab... T_T


What's wrong with just creating some vocab? At least, that's what I do Wink Actually, these challenges are in many cases the only way I get any new vocab in the first place! Very Happy

Just for fun - some natlangs:

Latvian:
"Šis ir mans ceļabiedrs. Viņš nav domāts kā dzeramnauda."
("Noderīgas ceļojumu frāzes", autors nezināms)

French:
"C'est mon compagnon. Il n'est pas voulu comme un pourboire."
("Des expressions utiles pour la touriste" auteur inconnu)

Japanese: a try
「私の友達です。チップじゃありません。」
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolkien_Freak



Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 1231
Location: in front of my computer. always.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiri wrote:
What's wrong with just creating some vocab? At least, that's what I do Wink Actually, these challenges are in many cases the only way I get any new vocab in the first place! Very Happy

Somehow it just bugs me to create really specialised words (like 'tip') before a lot of the more common ones I know that I don't have. I really can't explain it.

Quote:
Japanese: a try
「私の友達です。チップじゃありません。」

全然正解!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kyonides



Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

achemel wrote:
I never looked up the actual term, but when I was taking Spanish in high school our teacher taught "the" as the direct article (d.a.) and "a" as the indirect article (i.d.a.). Or maybe it was "definite article"? I feel like those are at least sort of close to the proper terms but again, I haven't checked, and I've been using these abbreviations for about 5 years now so they're kind of ingrained. (^_^) I suppose I could be a little less lazy and just look them up...

el, la - definite article - artículo definido
un, una - indefinte article - artículo indefinido
_________________
Seos nivo adgene Kizne tikelke

The Internet might be either your best friend or your worst enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiri wrote:
French:
"C'est mon compagnon. Il n'est pas voulu comme un pourboire."
("Des expressions utiles pour la touriste" auteur inconnu)
Cool Laughing Cool! (Not that the others aren't; just that I actually read French, though clearly not as well as you write it.)
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any translations into their conlangs? Anyone have any sound-recordings in their conlangs? How about transcriptions into their conscripts? How about morphemic glosses of the "Leipzig Glossing Rules for Interlinear Morphemic Translations" type? (don't need to be interlinear, I guess).
Best would be:
In your conscript;
In your romanization of your conlang;
A morphemic gloss;
and a sound-recording in your conlang.
Not that everybody can do all that, and even if they can, not necessary all at once. Don't be shy about posting what you have just because you don't have something else; we'd like to see what you have even if we have to wait for the rest.

And btw thanks for all the natlang transcriptions, romanizations, morphemic glosses, and recordings that have been posted!
(Wait -- has anyone posted any natlangish sound-recordings yet?)
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vreleksá Forum Index -> Translations
All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Theme ACID © 2003 par HEDONISM Web Hosting Directory


Start Your Own Video Sharing Site

Free Web Hosting | Free Forum Hosting | FlashWebHost.com | Image Hosting | Photo Gallery | FreeMarriage.com

Powered by PhpBBweb.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com