Vreleksá Forum Index Vreleksá
The Alurhsa Word for Constructed: Creativity in both scripts and languages
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copyright

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vreleksá Forum Index -> Board Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zearen Wover



Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Copyright Reply with quote

I was curious how copyright worked on this site. I've heard that things posted on forums become the intellectual property of the site owner. For obvious reasons, I find this extremely undesirable. Is this just rumor? Can I post things here while retaining my rights?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tolkien_Freak



Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 1231
Location: in front of my computer. always.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a strong suspicion that it won't ever come into question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Copyright Reply with quote

Zearen Wover wrote:
... I've heard that things posted on forums become the intellectual property of the site owner. .... Is this just rumor? Can I post things here while retaining my rights?

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but:
IMO it doesn't become the IP of the site-owner(s) unless they say so at the top of the site every time you log on, and actually make you sit with a document saying that in front of your face for 10 seconds or so and make you say you've read it and accept it whenever you register for the first time.
StrangeMagic and Serali have never done that, and never expressed any plans to do that.
I could ask that they say explicitly they won't do that.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but:
But, you have to grant them the right to publish your post, or it can't show up. Presumably you were shown a document when you registered that stated this obvious fact (that really you shouldn't have needed to be told), and were asked to say that you'd read it and understood it and agreed to it (though odds are you just checked that you did so without actually reading it).
After that, well, really, if you post something here, the board-owners have the right to assume it's because you want members to read it, yes? Otherwise you'd have used a PM.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but:
In anthologizing, there's a difference between the right an author has to a particular piece in the anthology, and the rights an editor has to the collection. Serali and StrangeMagic have the exclusive right (unless they explicitly grant it to some licensee) to this collection of all these posts. That's different from, and does not infringe upon, any individual poster's rights to the intellectual content of his own post.

Zearen Wover wrote:
... Can I post things here while retaining my rights?
Retain them? IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but: I'd bet "yes".

Protect and enforce them? IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but: I think that'd be more problematical. That could be done only if some sort of care were taken that only members could ever read posts; that all members agreed to abide by every other members rights, and knew what those rights were; and that even non-members who somehow hacked in and saw your posts were informed that they did not have the right to copy your posts or use your ideas without your express written permission.

That's my uneducated opinion. I could be wrong.
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zearen Wover



Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Oh, ok Reply with quote

Phew, that makes me feel a lot better. I'm not worried as much about someone stealing my ideas, and I'm fine with them being published. What I was worried about was somehow my ideas becoming commercially viable (AKA me actually launching a game) then getting slapped with an IP lawsuit because I published them here first. I, of course, did not worry about the admins doing this, but rather bizhat. Thanks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Serali
Admin


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 929
Location: The Land Of Boingies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of such a thing happening on any forum that I've been on.

I have no legal knowledge whatsoever but according to everyone else you have nothing to worry about.


_________________


Tobo deu ne lenito sugu? - You kissed a frog?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StrangeMagic
Admin


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 637

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I have read under UK law, whatever you write down becomes your own property. Therefore I do not believe that me or Serali would take /your/ copyright.

I am sure that we would not do that either, even if that was the case. =)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Serali
Admin


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 929
Location: The Land Of Boingies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrangeMagic wrote:
Well, from what I have read under UK law, whatever you write down becomes your own property. Therefore I do not believe that me or Serali would take /your/ copyright.

I am sure that we would not do that either, even if that was the case. =)


OMG! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!

WE'VE MISSED YOU!

And yes I agree with this 100%


_________________


Tobo deu ne lenito sugu? - You kissed a frog?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
3po



Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrangeMagic wrote:
Therefore I do not believe that me or Serali would take /your/ copyright.


are you really sure...i mean really?
_________________
I-I
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StrangeMagic
Admin


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 637

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serali wrote:
StrangeMagic wrote:
Well, from what I have read under UK law, whatever you write down becomes your own property. Therefore I do not believe that me or Serali would take /your/ copyright.

I am sure that we would not do that either, even if that was the case. =)


OMG! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!

WE'VE MISSED YOU!

And yes I agree with this 100%



Hey! =D I've been so busy with school and everything lately that conlanging has really taken the rear seat. =(

I've missed you guys too. =D

3po wrote:
StrangeMagic wrote:
Therefore I do not believe that me or Serali would take /your/ copyright.


are you really sure...i mean really?


Yes, 3po, I am sure. REALLY.

Why, is there something you want to say?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
3po



Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrangeMagic wrote:
3po wrote:
StrangeMagic wrote:
Therefore I do not believe that me or Serali would take /your/ copyright.


are you really sure...i mean really?


Yes, 3po, I am sure. REALLY.

Why, is there something you want to say?


i've said what i wanted to, why do think i have something to say?
_________________
I-I
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Serali
Admin


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 929
Location: The Land Of Boingies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrangeMagic wrote:
Hey! =D I've been so busy with school and everything lately that conlanging has really taken the rear seat. =(

I've missed you guys too. =D


Yeah I know the feeling too. I've been running around here trying not to go crazy with everything that it's impossible to keep track of everything.

I do have a script though that I made a while ago. I wish I had a scanner.

Damn. Even if I did I have no space to put it anymore. XD


_________________


Tobo deu ne lenito sugu? - You kissed a frog?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kyonides



Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real answer would be that it might be impossible to think no one could ever copy at least part of your texts or ideas and use them in other people's projects, books, games, etc. Since anyone can copy a whole news article and paste it on a forum, just about anyone could be a potential criminal. That doesn't mean that at least some forumers would actually commit such a crime. I think they're smart enough to avoid that. BTW I've seen one or two examples where people preferred to ask the original poster if they'd allow them to take something from his / her ideas or concepts or rules, etc. and use them somewhere else and develop their own story, game, etc. Of course they didn't ask him / her to allow them to reproduce his / her work as a whole, it'd be just a (very) small portion of it.

There's also the possibility that you could write something about death as a legal punishment and someone else likes this idea and also writes an article or a book about it but doesn't treat the topic the same way you did because he or she had a completely different point of view.
_________________
Seos nivo adgene Kizne tikelke

The Internet might be either your best friend or your worst enemy. It just depends on whether or not she has a bad hair day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vreleksá Forum Index -> Board Rules
All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Theme ACID © 2003 par HEDONISM Web Hosting Directory


Start Your Own Video Sharing Site

Free Web Hosting | Free Forum Hosting | FlashWebHost.com | Image Hosting | Photo Gallery | FreeMarriage.com

Powered by PhpBBweb.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com