Vreleksá Forum Index Vreleksá
The Alurhsa Word for Constructed: Creativity in both scripts and languages
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question for all forumers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vreleksá Forum Index -> Conreligion and Conphilosophy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

langover94 wrote:
A lot of prayers in my conworld are from the Catholic faith, also some of the prayer services are based on Catholic prayer services.
And naturally a lot of Adpihi prayers sound like they came from the Methodist hymnal, which means they sound Anglican, which means they sound Roman Catholic.

Does anyone know any common or popular prayers of any other denominations or religions?
Naturally I'd prefer them in English translation.
Anyone know any Eastern Orthodox prayers that aren't just as Roman Catholic as Eastern Orthodox?
Anyone know any Roman Catholic prayres that aren't just as Protestant as they are Roman Catholic?
Anyone know any prayers more popular or common in one Protestant denomination than in others?
Anyone know any Jewish prayers that aren't just as Christian as Jewish?
Anyone know any Islamic prayers that aren't just as Christian, or just as Jewish, as Islamic? How about the other way 'round -- Christian and/or Jewish prayers that are specifically Christian or Jewish, and specifically not Islamic?
Anyone know any Sunni prayers that are more Sunni than Shi'ite?
Anyone know any Shi'a prayres that are more Shi'a than Sunni?
How about others -- Sufi prayers, for instance?
Does anyone know any Confucian prayers? or any Taoist prayers? or any Shinto prayers?
How about Buddhist prayers and/or Hindu prayers and/or Jain prayers?
Anyone know any Theravada prayers that aren't just as Mahayana as they are Theravada?
Anyone know any Mahayana prayers that aren't just as Theravada as they are Mahayana?
Anyone know any Buddhist prayers that are more Buddhist than Hindu, or any Hindu prayers that are more Hindu than Buddhist?
Anyone know any Sikh prayers that are more Sikh than Hindu or Muslim, or any Hindu or Muslim prayers that are more Hindu or Muslim than Sikh?

Can anyone think of any questions I left out?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
langover94



Joined: 21 Aug 2007
Posts: 509
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attempt to answer some of these Very Happy

A Roman-Catholic prayer that is more Catholic than anything else is the Hail Mary, I don't hear a lot of protestants saying that one. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_Mary

For a sort-or universal Chrisian prayer, The Lord's prayer.

A really Jewish prayer is The Shema. It is normally spoken in Hebrew, but is translated into English sometimes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shema

A uniquely Muslim prayer is The Fatiha. I don't really know of any that are uniquely Sunni or Shi'a though. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Fatiha

A Hindu mantra is Jai Sri Krishna /dZe s4i k4iSn@/ or sometimes Jai Shri Krishna /dZe S4i k4iSn@/. It translates to "Hail Lord Krishna". This is normally said with the aid of a Japa Mala.
_________________
Join us at: The Renewed Spirits Forum!
Please join for good discussion. (We need members!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yssida



Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 253
Location: sa jaan lang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldin raigmore wrote:

Anyone know any Buddhist prayers that are more Buddhist than Hindu, or any Hindu prayers that are more Hindu than Buddhist?


Lemme see, Dabei Zhou (great compassion mantra) is the most Buddhist I've heard so far. It's also the most Mahayana. Basically chanting the names of past boddhisattvas.

The most Buddhist unarguably is om mani padme hum. Oh lotus jewel amen, or something to that effect.
_________________
kasabot ka ani? aw di tingali ka bisaya mao na

my freewebs site
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, langover & yssida.
Anyone else?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
achemel



Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 555
Location: up for debate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read more than the first four posts on this one, but I was looking for things already mentioned and thought I'd check this thread out. I know it's been a while since the last post. (^_^) Anyway, I'm Christian... but I couldn't tell you what division or whatever I am b/c I don't know. Razz And, it does sort of affect my conworlds: I tend to shape them to maintain religions almost the exact opposite of my own beliefs, but sort of with a hint of them as well. The only conlang my religion has had any effect on is Hemnalg, which has a set of religious vocabulary due to the development of religious stories.
_________________
I have some small knowledge of:
English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Spanish, French
I would like to learn:
(more) Chinese, Swedish, Italian, German, Indonesian, Tagalog, Gaelic
Main conlangs:
ddamachel, tadvaradcel, ra cel, lashel, hemnalg, nomah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
polyglot



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 22
Location: blackfoot, idaho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm LDS (Mormon) and it effects my conreligons a little but not much.
_________________
"If you see the light at the end of the tunnel, make sure its not the train coming." -me

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view." - Obi-wan Kenobi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

achemel wrote:
I haven't read more than the first four posts on this one, but I was looking for things already mentioned and thought I'd check this thread out. I know it's been a while since the last post. (^_^)
I'm kinda glad you revived this thread; I'd forgotten about all the links to prayers people had put in replies to my questions. And I don't want to forget; I want to use them.
achemel wrote:
Anyway, I'm Christian... but I couldn't tell you what division or whatever I am b/c I don't know. :P
Do you belong to a congregation and regularly attend a church? If so, a pastor or minister or priest or elder or deacon or something like that at your church should know. Or, do your parents or any older siblings or aunts or uncles or grandparents or older cousins go with you? If so, some of them should know.
achemel wrote:
And, it does sort of affect my conworlds: I tend to shape them to maintain religions almost the exact opposite of my own beliefs, but sort of with a hint of them as well. The only conlang my religion has had any effect on is Hemnalg, which has a set of religious vocabulary due to the development of religious stories.
I really only have one conworld and only one conlang.
Adpihi should ideally have some kind of variation of nearly every religion now existing on Earth with a lot of believers. But I know more about Methodism than about anything else; so I'm sure the religions on Adpihi reflect that ignorance (and that knowledge).
I haven't written a lot in Adpihi. But obviously a lot of religious texts should be part of the corpus.
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
achemel



Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 555
Location: up for debate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldin raigmore wrote:
achemel wrote:
I haven't read more than the first four posts on this one, but I was looking for things already mentioned and thought I'd check this thread out. I know it's been a while since the last post. (^_^)
I'm kinda glad you revived this thread; I'd forgotten about all the links to prayers people had put in replies to my questions. And I don't want to forget; I want to use them.


I'm glad I revived the thread then. Wink

While I know I'm some form of Christian I know I'm not Catholic, and I'm not a Quaker or a Lutheran or Methodist... and those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. Razz I suppose my congregation is sort of evangelical, but we're kind of modernizing I guess because we have 3 services on Sundays: the early service is more "traditional" with regular hymns and the old way we used to do communion and stuff, the middle service is for the young people who like contemporary songs and rockin' out with the younger pastor, and the third service is sort of a combination of the first two. And all the services have strange starting times. Not that that has anything to do with... anything. Haha.

eldin raigmore wrote:
I really only have one conworld and only one conlang.
Adpihi should ideally have some kind of variation of nearly every religion now existing on Earth with a lot of believers.


I imagine having one conworld and one conlang is rather more efficient than having several. Why is the ideal to have a variation of nearly every religion? Is there something in each one that catches your fancy, or is your world such that it just would have a variation of them, alternate Earth style?
_________________
I have some small knowledge of:
English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Spanish, French
I would like to learn:
(more) Chinese, Swedish, Italian, German, Indonesian, Tagalog, Gaelic
Main conlangs:
ddamachel, tadvaradcel, ra cel, lashel, hemnalg, nomah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

achemel wrote:
I suppose my congregation is sort of evangelical, but we're kind of modernizing I guess because we have 3 services on Sundays: the early service is more "traditional" with regular hymns and the old way we used to do communion and stuff, the middle service is for the young people who like contemporary songs and rockin' out with the younger pastor, and the third service is sort of a combination of the first two.
That really just sounds like the difference between "high church" and "low church" (with an extra, intermediate value). There's no doctrinal difference; just a matter of taste as to how people wish to celebrate their faith. Catholics had this; Anglicans had this too; neither denomination has broken up over it.

achemel wrote:
I imagine having one conworld and one conlang is rather more efficient than having several. Why is the ideal to have a variation of nearly every religion? Is there something in each one that catches your fancy, or is your world such that it just would have a variation of them, alternate Earth style?
It's just that the conworld is such that every religion with a lot of adherents would have had some members included among the original colonists who got lost and crash-landed and marooned there. Religious freedom for themselves and escape from religious persecution (which may not really have existed) was a big motivator for all of them; and each one's personal relationship with God is the biggest part of his/her/their religion. So in effect each person's belief-"system" is a religion with a congregation of one, since (in order to be both tolerant and tolerated) everyone is free to have their own "deal" with God (presumably it's mostly God's idea). For the most part people all think everyone has the same religion; but for the most part an outsider would think eveyone's religion was a bit different from everyone else's (kind of like if all mammals were one species, and goats could give birth to bats which could mate with porcupines and give birth to dogs and horses).
The big war I'm planning is about a group who don't agree with this "believe and let believe" attitude; they figure not only that they're right, but that no-one else has a right to be wrong. How the heck do the others (who I plan to be the winning alliance or "coalition of the willing") say "freedom of religion (except you're not free to not believe in freedom of religion)"?
Anyway; a non-believing outsider would detect that a non-believer's participation in society and the availability of society's benefits for a non-believer, are severely curtailed; a local would not, because it would never occur to a local that there might be such a thing as a non-believer, and any believer has all the same rights as any other believer, whether or not they believe the same thing. Variations in belief, even wide variations, are easily imaginable; non-belief isn't.
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hemicomputer



Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 610
Location: Calgary, Alberta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: question for all forumers Reply with quote

Hemicomputer wrote:
Also, in answer to the main question, I am a non-practicing member of every religion there has ever been. Sort of an "anyone could be right for all we know" outlook.

EDIT: I'm an atheist now. (or an apatheist ?) I'm more interested in humans than supernatural things. I think "god" exists in the same sense that "love" exists: there is probably an observable set of chemical/neural changes that most people would define as "god/religious experience" when they experience it, so it would be reasonable to call that "god".

ALSO: Finally done exams! Very Happy And I did fairly well on those I've seen the results for.
_________________
Bakram uso, mi abila, / del us bakrat, dahud bakrita!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hc, I'd say you're a humanist and a secularist.

A secularist thinks that things that happen in this life are more important than -- or at least as important as -- things that happen in the afterlife. (At least, that's my definition.)

A humanist thinks that what people do to themselves and each other is more important -- or at least as important as -- what people do to God(s, and/or other spirits) and what God(s, and/or other spirits) do to people. (At least, that's my definition.)

Do you agree that that describes you?

By one definition of "re-al-ist", a "realist" is a person who's more concerned with (or at least as concerned with) things (res) rather than, say, souls or spirits or ideas or names or .... (But another definition is, a person who thinks abstractions like "the Church" or "Christian doctrine" or "the United States Government" are just as "real" as, say, rocks and trees and animals.)

A "rationalist" thinks that human reason is just as important as, or more important than, divine revelation. An empiricist thinks that shared sensory experiences are just as important as, or more important than, things like divine revelation, intuition, and feelings.

A skeptic thinks that any belief needs to be examined before it's accepted.

Do any of those sound like you (to you)?

-----------------------------------------------

Q: What's the difference between an agnostic and an apatheist?
A: I don't know, and I don't care.
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hemicomputer



Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 610
Location: Calgary, Alberta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldin raigmore wrote:
@Hc, I'd say you're a humanist and a secularist.

A secularist thinks that things that happen in this life are more important than -- or at least as important as -- things that happen in the afterlife. (At least, that's my definition.)

A humanist thinks that what people do to themselves and each other is more important -- or at least as important as -- what people do to God(s, and/or other spirits) and what God(s, and/or other spirits) do to people. (At least, that's my definition.)

Do you agree that that describes you?
Humanist definitely describes me. I love humans. Secularist probably describes me also; I never really consider the afterlife because it requires considering death, which would make me panic because I'm not sure about the afterlife. I don't understand how consciousness can persist after death, but don't believe that just because I can't understand something it can't happen.

eldin raigmore wrote:
By one definition of "re-al-ist", a "realist" is a person who's more concerned with (or at least as concerned with) things (res) rather than, say, souls or spirits or ideas or names or .... (But another definition is, a person who thinks abstractions like "the Church" or "Christian doctrine" or "the United States Government" are just as "real" as, say, rocks and trees and animals.)
That's a confusing pair of meanings. I definitely don't think that ideas like "the Church" or "Canada" are real in the same sense as physical objects. Whether I think of them as more or less important, I have no idea.

eldin raigmore wrote:
A "rationalist" thinks that human reason is just as important as, or more important than, divine revelation. An empiricist thinks that shared sensory experiences are just as important as, or more important than, things like divine revelation, intuition, and feelings.
I generally agree with rationalism, I think. As for shared senses like sight and hearing being more important than more personal/subjective senses like intuition and emotion, that would depend on what they are supposed to be important for. Both types of sense can be deceived easily. Both are usually remembered wrong. Both are experienced differently by different people (just ask a synaesthete, or someone who is colourblind). Emotion can sometimes be a shared sensory experience. For a question like "is Barack Obama a secret muslim?", I would be an empiricist.
For a question like "does Marcel Duchamp have the right to put a urinal on a wall and call it his artwork?", I would not be.

eldin raigmore wrote:
A skeptic thinks that any belief needs to be examined before it's accepted.
That is definitely the sentiment I was raised with, and it seems like a good idea to me. I haven't examined skepticism enough to decide if I should accept it, though.

eldin raigmore wrote:
Do any of those sound like you (to you)?
See above.

eldin raigmore wrote:
Q: What's the difference between an agnostic and an apatheist?
A: I don't know, and I don't care.
Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes
_________________
Bakram uso, mi abila, / del us bakrat, dahud bakrita!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eldin raigmore
Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1621
Location: SouthEast Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemicomputer wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
A skeptic thinks that any belief needs to be examined before it's accepted.
That is definitely the sentiment I was raised with, and it seems like a good idea to me.
I haven't examined skepticism enough to decide if I should accept it, though.

Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes right back at you!
_________________
"We're the healthiest horse in the glue factory" - Erskine Bowles, Co-Chairman of the deficit reduction commission
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vreleksá Forum Index -> Conreligion and Conphilosophy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Theme ACID © 2003 par HEDONISM Web Hosting Directory


Start Your Own Video Sharing Site

Free Web Hosting | Free Forum Hosting | FlashWebHost.com | Image Hosting | Photo Gallery | FreeMarriage.com

Powered by PhpBBweb.com, setup your forum now!
For Support, visit Forums.BizHat.com